Living In Italy

You have surely seen many images of Italy: photographs of its archaeological sites, its churches, its monuments, its landscapes, its masterpieces enclosed in its museums. But there are other wonders that cannot be photographed: the musical tradition, the culture of food, the passion for being together, the climate. However, this is not a tourist site and we do not want to invite you on a short tour of our country; we want to explain why to choose to study in Italy can be the right one. Let us return for a moment to the riches we have talked about and add the great passion for science (do the names of Leonardo da Vinci, Galileo Galilei, and Enrico Fermi tell you something?): If you decide to spend a period of training in Italy, all these things can become the very object of your study. Are you passionate about art? What could be more exciting than studying the works of Michelangelo, Raphael or Tintoretto in the place where they were born? Are you interested in exact sciences, engineering or design? Our universities and academies are ready to welcome you and work with teams that, in the tradition, study how to create beautiful and functional objects, design dream cars (Lamborghini and Ferrari are born in Italy, you know that, right?), explore the infinitely large and the infinitely small, or reflect on history and literature, strong of a millennial past. What about going through a deeper musical knowledge in the country of Verdi, Puccini, and Rossini? These are just some of the examples that will help you understand why the study experience in Italy is unique. The rest, the hospitality, the liveliness of the university cities invaded by young people, the pleasantness of the climate, will be discovered by living together with your new Italian friends, perhaps learning a bit of our language with them.

To start dreaming, we recommend you visit to the portal: "Italy. Open to wonder. ".

Healthcare In Italy

In Italy, everyone has the right to receive healthcare.

The public healthcare system called Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN) Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN) , is divided into Local Health Units (Aziende Unità Sanitarie Locali or AUSL).

To receive all the care you need, it is important to know how the Italian healthcare system works.

First of all, you should know that the healthcare services you can access depend on the documents you possess:

The most important services for those who can access the SSN are:

  • primary care physician/pediatrician;
  • medical guard;
  • emergency room/hospital;
  • emergency number 118.


General practitioner

The service is free and the primary care physician is required to accept all people without any discrimination.
First of all, it is necessary to be registered with the National Healthcare System (SSN), and to make the choice, you need to have these documents:

  • passport;
  • residence permit;
  • health card.

Students with citizenship of the European Union

  • If you have a TEAM card:

    European Health Insurance Card (TEAM) from your EU country of origin, you can receive all necessary medical treatments.
    To receive treatments, you can go directly to a doctor or public or accredited health facility and show the TEAM card. The assistance is direct and therefore nothing is due except for any non-refundable co-payments ("tickets") that are your responsibility.
    Please note! With the TEAM card, you can go directly to a general practitioner (also called a family doctor), choosing one from the list of general practitioners (MMG) or Local Health Units (AUSL).
    With the TEAM Card, you cannot access "planned care abroad", i.e., foreseeable treatments, such as non-urgent dental treatments, thermal treatments, etc.

  • If you possess a Right Certificate (e.g. E106, E109, etc.):

    If you possess a right certificate other than TEAM, usually, in order to avail of healthcare services, you must first submit your certificate to one of the Sportello unico of the Local Health Unit (CUP). They will check if you are eligible to enroll in the National Health Service (SSN) and, in that case, you will be entitled to complete healthcare services under the same conditions as Italian citizens.
    The way to access healthcare services may vary depending on the right certificate you possess. Ask for more information at the Unique Sportello (CUP) at the time of registration.

  • Other cases:

    If you don't have either a TEAM card or a Right Certificate, you must take out valid private health insurance in Italy or enroll in the Italian National Health Service (SSN), where applicable.
    If you have private health insurance, you can go to any primary care physician. If you need a specialist visit, you can choose which doctor to turn to directly, possibly getting advice from the primary care physician.


Private health insurance policies:

  • do not include enrollment in the SSN or the assignment of a primary care physician;
  • usually require the user to pay the expenses and then request reimbursement from the insurance company.

When buying the policy, carefully check the methods and limits of reimbursement. Remember that the healthcare expenses to be payed in advance could be very high, for example in case of hospitalization. It is advisable to check in advance, by contacting your insurance company, if the type of service you need is reimbursable.

  • If your stay is for study purposes, check with one of the Sportello unico of the Local Health Unit (CUP) if you can enroll in the SSN. To voluntarily enroll in the SSN as a student, you must be a resident in Italy and pay an annual lump sum contribution of €149.77. Enrollment in the SSN is valid for the calendar year, from January 1st to December 31st.
  • If you are a subordinate or self-employed worker and pay taxes in Italy, you are entitled to compulsory and free enrollment in the National Health Service. Check with one of the Sportello unico of the Local Health Unit (CUP) on how to apply for the SSN.
  • If you have been resident in Italy for at least 5 years, you can request from the municipality of residence the "Permanent Stay Certificate" which entitles you to enroll in the Italian National Health Service (SSN) with the choice of a primary care physician, indefinitely. Check with one of the Sportello unico of the Local Health Unit (CUP) on how to enroll in the SSN.

Not-EU students

Not-UE students must enroll in the Italian National Health Service (SSN) or have valid health insurance in Italy. Health coverage

(against sickness, accidents, maternity) required to obtain a residence permit.

The duration of the study residence permit is a maximum of one year. A shorter duration of the residence permit may be due to various factors, including the duration of the health coverage: in no case will the issued residence permit be longer than your health insurance or enrollment in the Italian National Health Service (SSN).

After submitting the residence permit application, it is necessary to return as soon as possible to the Sportello unico(CUP) to activate health coverage and choose a primary care physician. Bring with you:

  • your passport;
  • your official Italian tax code;
  • the payment receipt of 149.77 euros;
  • the postal receipt of the residence permit application (or the residence permit if already obtained);
  • the enrollment certificate in the University or for exchange students, the Declaration of Arrival;
  • • for Unique Sportelli (CUP), the voluntary enrollment form for not-EU citizens.

Transport in Italy

The most common means of transport in cities are:

  • Bus;
  • Pullman;
  • Tram;
  • Subway;
  • Train;
  • Taxi.


The bus is a means of public transport available in almost every city.

Number of bus

Each bus follows a predetermined route and has a specific number that you can read on the bus itself. To find the bus number you need, search the website of the bus service in your city.

Bus stop

Each bus has several pre-established stops.

Timetable of the bus

Every bus has a schedule indicating the time it will arrive at each stop. You can find the timetable on the signs at the bus stops or on the website of the bus service.


To travel on the bus, you need a ticket. You can buy it at some tobacco shop, at the counters of major bus stations, or by sending an SMS with your mobile phone (search online for the system to buy a ticket with an SMS in your city). When you board the bus, you must validate or “stamp” the ticket using the device on board.


Getting off the bus

When you are on the bus and hear or read the name of your stop, press any of the buttons on the poles inside. This will let the driver know you want to get off at the next stop.


Coaches are buses that travel long distances, mainly from one city to another. You will also need a ticket for the coach, which you can find in some tobacco shop or at the bus stations. Sometimes you can also buy it directly on board. Remember to punch it as soon as you board.


The tram is a fast means of transport and is usually on time because it moves on tracks and preferential lanes. You will find trams in many Italian cities. You can recognize the tram stops by the fact that they are on the sides of the tracks. You also need a ticket for the tram, you can buy it at the vending machines at the tram stops or at the tobacco shop.


The subway is located in some major Italian cities, including Rome, Milan, Turin and Naples. Those trains travel underground. They're very fast, usually on time, and they stop at many stations. The stations are therefore underground and are usually signposted with red signs with the letter “M” (metro, in fact). You also need a ticket for the subway, which you can buy at the counters, at the machines in all stations or directly at the turnstiles via your payment-enabled smartphone or with the contactless ATM.


The train is a useful way to travel medium and long distances.
In Italy there are regional, interregional, and high-speed trains.

Regional and interregional trains are slower than high-speed trains, but they are cheaper. You board the train at the train station of your city. In larger cities there are many different stations, so make sure you go to the right station. Also make sure you know the exact departure time, which you can find on the website of Trenitalia , Italo or on the boards inside the stations. To travel on any train you need a ticket, which you can buy online, at the counters or at the machines in the various stations. 


In Italy the cost of taxi travelling depends on the distance you need to travel. Taxis can be found at car parks outside train stations, hotels, and some strategic locations in the city. You can also call a taxi company in your city and request a taxi.


Subscriptions may seem expensive to you, but if you use public transport, they can often save you a lot of money. For example, if you use the bus every day, you can buy a bus pass that will allow you to take as many buses as you want for a fixed price. You can also buy tickets for buses, subways, and trains. Subscriptions are valid for one month, several months or one year. You can buy tickets at counters at stations or online.

SHARING MOBILITY is spreading in more and more Italian cities and concerns cars and scooters, but also bicycles, electric scooters and allows you to move around using many shared services, public transport or rental. It allows users to share both vehicles and journeys, creating scalable, interactive and more efficient services while respecting the environment.

Emergency numbers in Italy

If you find yourself in difficulty during your stay in Italy, the unique number to call is 112 : it's a free number and the operator who will answer will put you in touch with the most suitable authority or service for your problem.

For more specific needs, you can also call the following numbers:

  • State Police: 113 (accidents, thefts, etc.);
  • State Police: 115 (fires, weather emergencies);
  • mergency Medical Service: 118
    (health-related needs). This number should also be kept in mind for mountain or cave rescue;
  • Cars rescue: all day long, Automobile Club d'Italia a federation of 106 Local Cars club which represents and protect the Italian drivers’ rights. It is possible to contact it calling
  • Women Anti-violence number: 1522;
  • Forest Ranger: 1515
  • ravel Information: 1518;
  • Sea Rescue: 1530.